xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Are namespace nodes required in XSLT 2.0?

2006-12-21 04:56:54
David Carlisle wrote:

  Hi

How can you tell if an XSLT implementation implements
Namespace nodes (in the XDM sense), if it does not
support the namespace axis?

Like this, for example:

    <xsl:variable name="x" as="item()*">
      <xsl:namespace name="a" select="'data:,a'"/>
      <xsl:namespace name="b" select="'data:,b'"/>
      <x/>
      <xsl:attribute name="c" select="'c'"/>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:value-of select="count($x)"/>

This should produce the result 4, and it's hard to see how
it can do so unless the fist two items in $x are namespace
nodes.

  Interesting!  I didn't think about such cases.  Actually,
I thought there were maybe a "as if" clause (implementations
are not required to implement namespace nodes, but then have
to make as if they were implemented).

  But if we think about their own existence in the DM, not
just to resolve namespace prefixes, it becomes hard to make
"as if" without actually implement them, IMHO.

  So you are confirming namespace nodes are required in a
conformant XSLT 2.0 implementation?

  Thanks,

--drkm