xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0

2007-12-17 04:29:43
An entity reference is supposed to be an ___author
convenience_ that does not affect further processing.

I think there are two use cases where keeping the entity references through
the transformation is a valid user requirement:

(a) where the result of the transformation will again be subject to human
editing. (This is also a case where you don't want default values expanded).
For example, I would love to be able to do a transformation on the XSLT spec
that removed some of the change history, but made no other changes. It's
hard to achieve that currently.

(b) where the entity references are to entities whose final expansion is not
known at the time of the transformation, that is, where you want the
reference to be expanded further downstream in the processing pipeline when
more information is available.

One answer to these requirements, which is the one I tend to adopt, is not
to use entities. But that's not always an option.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/