xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0

2007-12-23 06:30:05

Saxon:parse has always been unnecessary.
Parsing can be done with the fn:doc() function - just pass a data: URI
(RFC 2397).
If Saxon still doesn't support this 9-year-old standard, then you can
resort to writing a my:doc () xsl:function using use-when to test the
xsl:vendor system-property to identify saxon, and use saxon:parse in
that case, and use fn:doc() for other cases.

I think that was phrased in something of an unnecessary manner. Data
URIs are a sort of also ran standard I think.
One reason might be that they were not supported in IE, but I think
another reason is that they do not fit well into the general
development methodologies for Web Apps, at any rate they have never
become widely used or a well known standard. So there does not seem to
be any particular reason why they should be supported. I suppose that
one could write a parser for data uris but with xsl:function like you
say, maybe using fxsl would be a clever thing to do, given the recent
things for parsing that have been done with that library.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen