xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Copy results

2008-07-08 02:43:03
I do have such a framework, but that is not the point. I do
also have a pipeline, and that is in fact managed by XSLT.
You are saying that I should not use XSLT to tie together an
XSLT pipeline?

Correct, I don't think XSLT is the ideal language for that particular job.

I've done it that way myself, and my experience is that you start making
excessive use of extension functions to call into the outside environment,
for example to manipulate files and other resources that XSLT was not
designed to manipulate; you also start to introduce procedural logic where
the results depend on order of execution. XSLT is full of rules like the
stability rule (if you read the same document twice, it can't change in
between) that get in the way at this level of the application.

XSLT is essentially a special-purpose language - its design is optimized for
the task of transforming XML to XML.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/