xsl-list

Re: [xsl] New XSLT 3.0 Working Draft

2012-07-10 18:46:54
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
wrote:

- Maps -

A new data type, similar to the dictionaries or associative arrays in other
languages. The keys in the map can be any atomic value; the associated value
can be any value whatsoever. A particular motivation for maps was that with
streaming, you only get to see each thing in a document once, so you need to
remember what you've seen for use later (for example, in an accumulator); so
you need a richer data structure for holding this data. Maps also provide a
useful mechanism for importing/exporting data to/from JSON format (for which
there are new functions).

Might it not be a tad confusing to call them Maps given the support
for higher order functions.

- Higher-order functions -

More an XPath feature than an XSLT one, functions are now first-class values
and can be passed as parameters to functions, returned by functions, held in
maps, etc etc.

Given the way unsupplied parameters are currently treated will we have
 partial evaluation ?

Will we have closures? Will tunneled variables form part of the environment?