xsl-list

Re: [xsl] New XSLT 3.0 Working Draft

2012-07-12 10:34:14
I think Tommie says this well. But rather than focus on the
unsupported (and IMHO likely to be untrue) premise, I'd like to focus
for a moment on the question: "what are the chances of 3.0 being
adopted"?

My thoughts on this are

* while for users like me the advancements in 3.0 are way cool, but
  not particularly important,

* for users like Google and Amazon who have *lots* of data, the
  streaming capability of 3.0 will make it very attractive,

* users like Google and Amazon have money and resources, where users
  like me don't,

* it's extremely likely that at least 1 major implementation (Saxon)
  will support 3.0,

I think it pretty likely that 3.0 will have widespread adoption as a
programming language and for use server-side. I doubt it will have
any feet in-the-browser.

I also suspect that Schematron implementations may find using XSLT
3.0 a lot easier.

Anyway, I hope it does get adopted, and I hope there are
implementations that users like me can take advantage of. Kudos to
the WG. I'm looking forward to trying maps and @supress-indentation.
:-)

Since relatively few folks adopted 2.0, what do we think the
chances are of 3.0 being adopted?

Do you have some basis for that assertion? I have no measures of
what the world is doing with XSLT, but the micro-cosmos I see has
almost entirely moved to 2.0.

If there are some statistics on what specifications are being used
in what environments and in what numbers I would love to see them.
However, I don't really think it matters; an exciting technical
achievement is an exciting technical achievement. Period.