xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach

2014-03-27 20:43:44
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Graydon <graydon(_at_)marost(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Permit me to note that while XQuery is absolutely wonderful for query
tasks, it is truly horrible for transformation tasks.  (This hasn't
stopped everybody, admittedly, but the syntax is not a model for
effective transformation.)

The killer app is  native XML databases. They (well two that I know
of) allow you to use deploy both languages in the solutionsphere and
render the distinction moot.

Use whichever one best suits the task.

NXD's allow you to deliver a complete solution and if you can sell a
complete solution you can bypass the objectionists. The most potent
line of attack against such infiltration will be on grounds of
performance and that may also be a concern even if the head honcho is
on your side so that rather than syntax prettification is where the
community will get most bang for it's R&D buck.

Performance and an ability to co-exist and integrate peacefully with a
SQL repository - that takes care of the engineering side of the
equation.