RE: imode far superior to wap

2000-08-09 09:40:03
James,

We have gone through WAP v/s non-WAP threads several times on this
list. Let us hope this does not become another meaningless thread with
little technical merits in the arguments.

What is the use of criticizing a technology? If it is not good for a
purpose, or only the second best, it will die itself. IETF, ISO or ITU
can't sustain any standard unless someone in the world sees some
merits in it. Some people out there see WAP is good for them, and some
others see it a temporary diversion from the "real" deal. So what is
new about it.

Cheers,

--brijesh
Ennovate Networks Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: James P. Salsman [mailto:bovik(_at_)best(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 9:03 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: imode far superior to wap

Apparently WAP is collapsing, both in terms of the general opinion
of engineers and pundits, and now customer revenues.  The Invisible
Hand needs to slap some sense into the overly-greedy WAP Forum and
their all-too-pervasive accomplices.

Imode is far more widely used in Japan, as it is a very superior
open
standard that anyone can author and browse on any platform.  I would
ask that everyone in the IETF who cares about these things make an
informal personal effort to try to get cellular carriers to migrate
towards a solution like imode.  Looking around a Google search on
"imode" will pretty clearly show how it works.

I don't know if cellular phones cause brain damage (although perhaps
that could explain the WAP Forum's pathetic bytecode-based rejection
of Moore's Law), but trying to use WAP is like viewing Medusans in
the Star Trek universe [TOS episode 60, "Is There In Truth No
Beauty?"
http://www.lcarscom.net/tos3.htm ].

Cheers,
James