[fetchmail] same settings but different behaviour...

2003-04-26 13:18:16
Hello, everybody.

I have a problem fetching already-fetched mails. Here is my problem...
 - I was running fetchmail 6.2.2 on my Linux workstation, to fetch
   different external mailboxes to my local one.
   ( fetchmail on workstation => postfix => procmail )
 - My workstation is behind another linux box, used as firewall and
   gateway.

Everething was working well.

Last week, I moved my .fetchmailrc to my firewall, and start to use
the old supplied fetchmail 5.9.0 on it. Everything worked well, all my
mailboxes were fetched.

The problem started this morning when I decided to fetch my firewall
mailbox (containing the mails from all external mailboxes) to my
workstation mailbox. To do this, I've used my previously installed
fetchmail 6.2.2, and a simple .fetchmailrc fetchmail my firewall user
mailbox to my workstation user mailbox.
( fetchmail on firewall => fetchmail on workstation => postfix => procmail )

My mails were fetched from firewall, but never received in my
workstation mailbox. Instead of receving mails from fetchmail, the local
postfix started to sent mails from MAILER-DAEMON to error mail senders (eg:
catch one of these mails to see its contents.

Postfix settings seem to be good (hostname, domain, aliases) on both
firewall and workstation.

I don't understand why:
  - fetching external mailboxes on my workstation works well
but
  - fetching external mailboxes on my firewall, and then fetching from
    firewall to workstation doesn't work.

I've found two solutions on my workstation .fetchmailrc to remove the
problem:
  - addind the mda parameter to use procmail for delivering
  - adding smtpaddress and smtpname to specify the mail destination
  (my workstation hostname and mail address)

Any help appreciate.

Laurent.
--
Laurent CREPET -- lcrepet(_at_)free(_dot_)fr