Re: [fetchmail] Re: "Limit" doesn't cooperates with "flush"

2003-10-10 01:50:40
Sunil Shetye <shetye(_at_)bombay(_dot_)retortsoft(_dot_)com>:
Quoting from Benjamin Drieu's mail on Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:09:06AM +0200:
here is a patch to fix Debian bug #212240 [1].  A small bug was
introduced in 6.2.4 that prevent oversized messages to be flushed if
both "flush" and "limit" were specified.

[ Ralph Seichter had also complained about this change, however I
could not explain then why this change is required. ]

There are a few reasons why 'flush' should not be used to delete
oversized messages.

- 'limit' is a resource limit control option, 'flush' is not. Using
  the two in combination is neither safe nor intuitive. 'flush' is
  specifically for deleting old seen mails. Overloading it is
  dangerous.

I agree with this argument, and have accepted the patch.

- Currently, there is a serious bug in the uidl code where unseen
  messages are marked as seen under specific options. I have attempted
  to fix it in the thread "fetching uids of mails". If a user has
  specified 'flush' to delete oversized mails by default, such mails
  will also get deleted! If one has the following rc file,

I have never trusted the UIDL code.  I didn't write it, and it is
sufficiently ugly and complicated that I don't think I understand it
completely.  This is a major reason I have resisted Matthias Andree's
plan to move to UIDL tracking.

I suggest that a resource control option like 'limitflush <number>' be
added. If acceptable, I could make a patch for this.

I am very resistant to adding new options at this point.  I would
prefer to remove the size limit option entirely and ship a separate
mini-client for deleting oversized messages.