Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail doesn't download messages from server

2004-05-17 07:42:43
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:23:11AM -0400, Andr?s Bel wrote:
On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 01:29:28PM +0000, Mooky Mooksgill wrote:
I'd happily include the output from fetchmail -v, but I don't have it at
the moment (sometimes it's a socket error I recall). It seems to croak on
one message, and then not download any of the others, even though they're
new.

We'll wait until you have the information available.

Regards,

Brian.

I am having the same problem here is my configuration:

I don't think it's the same problem. The other guy said he was having
problems with rejection due to bad headers or something like that.

fetchmail: POP3< +OK X1 NT-POP3 Server mail.xxxxx.com (IMail 6.06
58798-6)

Use NT and you deserve what you get...

fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<cknudsen(_at_)localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from mail.xxxxx.com
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.xxxxx.com (protocol POP3) at Tue Mar 30
18:12:08 2004: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Your POP3 server did something bad which caused a socket error.
Unfortunately fetchmail doesn't log exactly what it was.

Try connecting using telnet and issuing the same command (this is a bit
awkward if you're forced to use CRAM-MD5 though, as it means you have to
work out the correct response).

Easier is just to use
    tcpdump -s1500 -i eth0 -n tcp port 110
and watch the packets go past. You can probably work out what the POP3
server is doing wrong; either dropping the connection, or not terminating
the message with \r\n.\r\n

Brian.