RE: [fetchmail]Need to adjust HELO domain and Mail From: used by fetchmail

2004-11-23 10:57:07
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Laurence Moore wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, David C Niemi wrote:
Yes, you have it right.  It is not just a matter of PostFix rejecting the
mail; I could configure PostFix differently, but only at the expense of
letting in vast quantities of spam.  So I really want to be able to
distinguish this email by having it use a proper hostname on the HELO
line.  I get the impression that Fetchmail doesn't let you control what it
says on the HELO line, though I couldn't quite find it in the
documentation.

Perhaps you could include 127.0.0.1 in $mynetworks of postfix and setup
your helo checks accordingly.

It is already in $mynetworks, as it generally is.  The problem is not at
the session level, it is what fetchmail says IN the session.  And
unfortunately the HELO checks in Postfix don't distinguish between trusted
sessions and untrusted ones.

Meanwhile, I've found a workaround in which I directly use the mail file,
and don't even use fetchmail, which seems to be working.

I'm still interested in learning how to control what fetchmail uses for
its hostname if someone finds a way, for future reference.  Thanks for
everyone's responses.

| David C Niemi  (Reston, VA, USA)  niemi at tuxers dot net |
| Initiative, unlike vengeance, is a dish best served hot.  |