Re: [fetchmail]Need to adjust HELO domain and Mail From: used by fetchmail

2004-11-24 04:40:04
David C Niemi <niemi(_at_)tuxers(_dot_)net> writes:

Yes, you have it right.  It is not just a matter of PostFix rejecting the
mail; I could configure PostFix differently, but only at the expense of
letting in vast quantities of spam.

Untrue. You can insert permit_mynetworks before the strict checks in
Postfix's smtpd_helo_restrictions - assuming fetchmail is in mynetworks.

So I really want to be able to
distinguish this email by having it use a proper hostname on the HELO
line.  I get the impression that Fetchmail doesn't let you control what it
says on the HELO line, though I couldn't quite find it in the
documentation.

See what happens if you add this line to your .fetchmailrc (literally):

skip some.host with proto ETRN no dns

It's a workaround I used like 5 years ago to force a proper sender
address. I'm not sure if an underlying bug, if any, still persists, I
haven't looked into _this_ specifically for a long time, and don't have
time to look into the issue on short notice.