Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail to Microsoft exchange 2000

2005-04-12 11:23:34
Sorry my dumb typo mistake.....

Well the set up is  I have....
1)  an external email hosted server that runs postfix
2) I currently use pop2exchange to go and pop email off this postfix server and forward it to the exchange 2000 server.

This works fine, but pop2exchange is flaky at best and I can go days with out it working unless someone complains about not getting external email in...

So I was thinking of using fetchmail to pop the email off the postfix server instead of the pop2exchange doing it, and forward it to the exchange server.

I thought of smtping it right from the postfix server to exchange server, but I do not know too much about postfix, plus its running in conjunction with VHCS2 hosting control panel.....

Is this any clearer? Sorry if I was obtuse before hand...

Rob...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Casey Allen Shobe" <lists(_at_)seattleserver(_dot_)com>
To: "Rob" <rob(_at_)thehostmasters(_dot_)com>
Cc: <fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail to Microsoft exchange 2000

Please keep the list in the reply path to get more responses and also to
benefit any others which have the same issue in the future.

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 17:51, you wrote:
Thanks for replying so quickly, I thought of that, but I am now using
postfix rather than sendmail, I am not sure how to configure postfix to do
this...

do you know how to set up exchange for this? I currently use pop2exchange,
to grab email from the email server and forward it to exchange...

For clarity, how exactly is your mail flowing?  Internet --> Exchange, and
then you want one domain to go from Exchange --> Postfix?  Or Internet -->
Postfix, and then one domain Postfix --> Exchange?

I just have to figure out how to forward only my domain form the server to
here at the office with postfix.....

In the former situation (Exchange --> Postfix), you can run fetchmail on the
postfix server with a configuration like this for every user:

poll exchange.server.com with protocol pop3
       user your_username there
       with password "your_password"
       is your_address(_at_)postfix(_dot_)server(_dot_)com here
       smtphost your_address(_at_)postfix(_dot_)server(_dot_)com

(not sure if you'll need the last line, I think I added that to mine because I
needed SMTP auth or something - it's been ages since I set it up)

Unfortunately, you'd have to add one entry for every user on the domain this
way (but you get to use fetchmail ^_^).

I don't know anything about Exchange, but I imagine it at least has an option
per account to forward the mail to another address.  You could tell it to
forward all mail to your_address(_at_)postfix(_dot_)server(_dot_)com - add postfix.server.com
(something that has an MX host of the postfix server address), and then on
the postfix server have your_real_domain.com set up, and then
postfix.server.com (substituting the actual domain of course) as an alias
domain.  With qmail/vpopmail, you would use vaddaliasdomain - I don't know
anything about postfix, but you might use the qmail example in a question to
the postfix list to give a clear idea of what you need.

In the latter situation (Postfix --> Exchange), you could configure postfix to
route all mail for that domain to the exchange server.  This would be the
simplest setup but again I don't know how to do it with Postfix (but use the
smtproutes example if you want to ask the postfix guys).

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe | SeattleServer, Inc.
cshobe(_at_)seattleserver(_dot_)com | cell 425-443-4653