[fetchmail]Re: Unwanted "retained"

2005-11-23 01:49:33
Quoting from fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org's mail on Mon, Nov 21, 2005:
fetchmail -v reports:

fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 521 octets
reading message 1 of 1 (521 octets)
fetchmail:  retained

Earlier today this mailbox failed on one message with "segmentation
fault."  Since I couldn't get past this message using fetchmail, I went to
a webmail server and logged on.  Removed all messages (all were spam
anyway) using the "delete" "are you sure" "yes" options.

This "retained" information started the next time I used fetchmail to get
mail from this server - a few minutes after I logged off the webmail
server.

Any clue as to what is happening and how I can get rid of this thing - or
do I just need to ignore it?

Please report how many mails are being shown by your webmail server.

If your webmail server is showing no mails and fetchmail is showing
one (retained) mail, then you just ignore it. It is the "FOLDER
INTERNAL DATA" mail that was probably created by the webmail server.
fetchmail neither downloads nor deletes this mail.

To see what the message looks like, go to
<http://www.wam.umd.edu/howto/pophelp.html>.

To fix the "segmentation fault", please upgrade fetchmail. However,
note that the mail will continue to be retained after upgradation.

--
Sunil Shetye.