Re: Re: Character-set header (was Re: Minutes of the Atlanta 822ext meeting)

1991-09-10 17:33:26
David Herron writes:

MESSAGE: Implies nothing about the display.  Contains a fully formated
    822 conformant message which may contain any combination of
    other content-types.

For an X.400 message, what to do?  Should it be transmorgrified
into an 822 message?  This may not be easy since that is an MTA function.

An X.400 message usually should be converted. There is no mechanism
for carrying X.400 as-is. I tried to put one in -- it was shot down in flames.

Note that an X.400 message can be converted using the conventions of
RFC1148bis, RFC-XXXX, and a to-be-written RFC that joins the first two (to be
done once RFC-XXXX is a little further along) with very little information
loss.

SubTyping may be useful here ..

If it is necessary to carry X.400 messages as-is (and I believe this
functionality will be needed in some cases, which is why I put it in to
begin with) I think this could easily end up under application/whatever
rather than message/whatever. This, however, is a matter for another day --
I'm confident it will fit if we need it, but I want to achieve closure on
RFC-XXXX now instead of worrying about this...

                                        Ned