Re: Character-set header (was Re: Minutes of the Atlanta 822ext meeting)

1991-09-12 07:05:15
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 11-Sep-91 Re: Character-set header (w..
Bill Janssen(_at_)parc(_dot_)xerox(_dot_) (649)

Would it then be possible to really free up the "type" field in the
Content-type header?  By which I mean, allow it to vary independent of
the format "sub-type", so that both

and (in a different message, of course :-)

would be allowed?

We don't have to formally de-couple type & subtype -- which I'm not sure
I'd support -- in order to accomplish this.  What's wrong with saying
that there is a "postscript" subtype of "text-plus" *and* a "postscript"
subtype of "image"?  There certainly no ambiguity.  If we have scoped
naming, we might as well use it!