re: Basic requirements of a message

1991-10-14 00:39:39

On Thu, 10 Oct 91 09:03:30 +0100, Dan Oscarsson wrote:
[lots of flames]

Please explain how it is that you cannot send e-mail in Swedish using the
local 7-bit national character set.
I never said that. I can use a local character set and type the body of a
message in Swedish, but not in the header lines as RFC 822 thinks they
mean something else. But locally I use ISO 8859-1 as it much better
fullfills the need of available characters. The national 7-bit variants in use
are missing several useful letters.

My interest isn't very much in multi-media mail -- although I did implement
audio because it was easy, but rather in file attachments, which many people
around here consider a `basic requirement' that is considerably more important
than simultaneous international character sets.  Simultaneous international
character sets are, in fact, what you're demanding, since local 7-bit national
character sets have always worked.

I am not demanding simulataneous international character sets, I am
telling that the novice user (and I also) wants to be able to send email
in my own language and that the novice user cannot be expected to understand
why not alla parts of a letter can by in his own language because there
are restrictions on the letters allowed in some places (headers).

And as I said, the basic requirement (to be able to write a letter in your
own language) is fullfilled for english speaking people and I understand
that you want file attachments, I want them too but not before the basic
requirements are fullfilled for me too.

Or, are you saying that you are offended by tokens in the header, e.g. `From',
being in English?

Not at all, the tokens in the header lines should not be presented to the
user by the UA, they are internal communication structure tokens. The user
need not see them, the user interface can present the contents of the
header lines in a user friendly way.

    Dan
--

Dan Oscarsson                              Department of Computer Science
                                           Lund Institute of Technology