Re: Basic requirements of a message

1991-10-14 02:49:07

On Thu, 10 Oct 91 09:03:30 +0100, Dan Oscarsson wrote:

I am not demanding simulataneous international character sets, I am
telling that the novice user (and I also) wants to be able to send email
in my own language and that the novice user cannot be expected to understand
why not alla parts of a letter can by in his own language because there
are restrictions on the letters allowed in some places (headers).

Or, are you saying that you are offended by tokens in the header, e.g.
`From',
being in English?

Not at all, the tokens in the header lines should not be presented to the
user by the UA, they are internal communication structure tokens. The user
need not see them, the user interface can present the contents of the
header lines in a user friendly way.

Take a look at what Dan says. It is the USER AGENT that should present
the headers in a "readable" way to the user. The conclusion of this is
that WE DONT NEED local characters in the headers. We can USE the
"content-type: message/iso-8859-2" form (see chapter 5.4 in the draft).

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Internet: sow(_at_)cad(_dot_)luth(_dot_)se