Re: Basic requirements of a message

1991-10-14 07:43:45
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 14-Oct-91 Re: Basic requirements of a..
Johnny Eriksson(_at_)sunic(_dot_)su (708)

No, we can't.  Mark Crispin has decided, in his infinite wisdom, that
a content-type "message" can't have a transport encoding, and therefore
it can only contain characters that can be represented in seven bits.

Let me try to clear things up:  In the June draft, message/iso-8859-2
would have worked.  Many people -- including Mark Crispin, but also
including me -- became alarmed at the prospect of nested transport
encodings, and this has been removed from the latest draft.

"What latest draft?" you ask.  Good question.  It's almost done.  Ned &
I met at Interop and hammered out a few more points, with additional
input from Greg Vaudreil and Dave Crocker.  I'm hoping to make one more
pass thorugh it and release it to the list this week.  -- Nathaniel