Re: NEW MIME DRAFT

1991-12-31 08:19:57
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 30-Dec-91 Re: NEW MIME DRAFT Keld J|rn Simonsen(_at_)dkuug (1521)

MNEMONIC is specified at the preferred mail exchange character set
by Nordunet and EUnet. Removing support for it in RFC-MIME will
not be a good service to these communities, which should be considered
as some of the main user communities of the enhanced character
set support of RFC-MIME.

If this is true, then I have to support Keld on this. For me, the best "litmus test" I've come up with for whether or not we should include a character set in the MIME document is whether or not there are existing communities using it for otherwise-RFC-822 email. I didn't realize the MNEMONIC was in that category, but if it really is, we should clearly define the charset token for it.

Folks, this is basically a political decision, and political decisions are inevitably settled by the IAB anyway. Would everyone be willing to settle for just kicking this question upstairs to them?