Re: NEW MIME DRAFT

1991-12-31 11:30:25
Nathaniel,

Concerning your query about references to RFC-CHAR, NETFAX, and RFC-HDRS,
I first notice that you cite working groups and internet drafts.  Neither of
these is likely to be acceptable.  The new Standards Procedures document
explicitly states that IDs are not to be cited.  Further, I've previously
noted that a document may not move to full Standard if it depends upon
anything which is not, itself, a full standard (assuming that it is
a standards-related document.)  Hence,  it is my opinion that the group
is setting itself up for a very big fall, if any other these other
efforts take a long time.  This is particularly unfortunate, since I
see no procedural or technical requirement for the dependent citations.

In every case, MIME can simply cite IANA as listing the registered
names. There is no reduction in functionality, standards progress, or
whatever.

Dave