Re: Newline problem: Another stab

1992-03-04 07:36:07
Excerpts from mail: 3-Mar-92 Re: Newline problem: Anothe.. Christopher Davis(_at_)eff(_dot_)or (2152*)

I don't see it. If they're encoded, non-MIME-aware transport agents
won't know WHAT the newlines "really" are; they'll never be getting CRLF
where they expected something else.

Not true. If they're used to receiving mail from local UAs with the local newline convention, and they suddenly start receiving mail from local UAs with CRLF, it would be foolish to blithely assume no problems will result.

My MIME-aware MUA is presumably feeding my local MTA whatever it wants
in local newline format; the MTA is responsible for turning that into
network newlines for me when it leaves here.

Ah, this is PRECISELY the presumption I want to guarantee! My reading of the Fontaine proposal, however, is that it REQUIRES the MUA to feed CRLF to the MTA, which may not currently be the case.