Re: Working Group Last Call: Mnemonic to Proposed Standard

1992-04-02 12:24:27
It has been pointed out me that I have just been royally careless
in the wording of a previous note.  Having potentially caused damage,
let me try to undo it quickly:

    (Wearing my Standards Monger hat)

    RFCs that are labeled Informational or Experimental are published by
    the RFC editor, primarily at his/her discretion but after coordination
    with the IESG.  The coordination is to ensure that the document in
    question does not collide with IETF work-in-progress, or the like.

    I believe that the primary basis for having a WG recommend an
    Informational or Experimental status is to make an explicit statement
    that a spec is *not* intended for the standards track, AT THIS TIME.

(The last 3 words are added.)

In other words, the wg statement is, in no way, making a statement about
*future* comments or recommendations about a spec, only about the
group's *current* assessment.

Yours for Correct Language,

Dave