Re: file attachments in MIME Re: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-01 22:31:04
< The real issue here seems to me to be ``which of the bodyparts is the
< non-attachment?''  I think there's a real need to have another multipart
< subtype, namely ``attachments'', in which all bodyparts except for the
< last are treated as attachments to the last part, which is treated as the
< ``main'' message.  This eliminates the need for adding any headers to the
< bodypart.

The experiences of another major mail system (AT&T Mail) which provides for
attachments of this nature indicate that the proper place for the main
message is at the beginning of the message and not at the end. You normally
attach an item to something. In order to do that attaching, you first have
to have that something. So you provide the something first so you can do the
attaching.

                                        Tony Hansen
                            hansen(_at_)pegasus(_dot_)att(_dot_)com,
tony(_at_)attmail(_dot_)com
                                att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony