Re: file attachments in MIME Re: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-02 13:57:33
On 2 Mar 1993   0:14 EST, hansen(_at_)pegasus(_dot_)att(_dot_)com
(t.l.hansen) said:

        t.l.hansen> The experiences of another major mail system (AT&T Mail)
which provides for
        t.l.hansen> attachments of this nature indicate that the proper place
for the main
        t.l.hansen> message is at the beginning of the message and not at the
end. You normally

This seems right to me, since it is nice to non-MIME-aware MUAs (one
can read the main messages without looking through the whole file)

BUT

I do not think it should be done this way; I much prefer the addition
of another header, as I indicated earlier. I like Laurence Lundblad's
name; "disposition". How about:

disposition := "Content-Disposition" ":" location
location    := "inline" / "attachment"

I think this makes stuff more general than creating a subtype of
multipart. It does have the unfortunate consequence of making a change
to the spec, though. Do y'all think this change is substantive enough
to block it's acceptance? How about if it was trated as a 'hint',
instead of as dogma?

The problem I have with the multipart/attachments thing is, as
proposed, you could not have both attachments and in-line bodyparts in
the same message.

-Rens