Re: file attachments in MIME Re: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-01 06:42:24
On Sun, 28 Feb 93 19:14:20 PST,
Neil(_dot_)Katin(_at_)eng(_dot_)sun(_dot_)com (Neil Katin ) said:

        Neil> I believe that both are valid models; MIME shouldn't
        Neil> take a position that discourages either one.  But we
        Neil> absolutely need a way to differentiate which model was
        Neil> intended.

It seems to me that we should stay away from this issue; to do
otherwise would be to invite needless complexity. A conscious decision
was made to defer inline formatting of body-parts to as-yet-undeveloped
subtypes of application, using the Content-Id to make the references
unique.

Whether bodyparts are "displayed" sequentially or as attachments (a
row of icons?) in the absence of any identifying application type
seems to me an issue best left to the design of the MUA.

I guess one could add something like a 'Content-Location-Hint' header
to each bodypart; looks ugly to me, though. And isn't this rather a
major change?

-Rens