Re: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-02 20:42:55
On Tue, 2 Mar 1993 11:01:32 PST, Bill Janssen
<janssen(_at_)parc(_dot_)xerox(_dot_)com> said:

        Bill> Yes, you clearly need to keep all of the type
        Bill> information.  The problem with a scheme like adding a
        Bill> ``disposition'' parameter on Content-Type is that this

I did not propose it as a parameter, but as a separate header.

        Bill> ``attachment'' characteristic is related to the
        Bill> situational use of the document, not to its content, so
        Bill> you don't want to add this situational notation to the

It is not clear to me how this follows.

        Bill> basic set of headers of the document.  Imagine, for
        Bill> example, storing the attachment in a file, then visiting
        Bill> the file later with a MIME-capable editor.  This
        Bill> disposition parameter would still be in the file, and
        Bill> still affecting use of the document.

Not necessarily; it is perfectly valid (desirable, even) to remove
Content-Transfer-Encoding in the process of saving a bodypart as a
file. I think this is a better analogy. Onece a bodypart is stored as
an indovidual file, I see no reason to keep ANY mime-associated data
with it (except in the special case of a caching MTA); every platform
provides its own way to identify a file in native filesystem format
(extension, magic number, FileInfo, etc.)

        Bill> This is why adding another subtype of multipart seems
        Bill> like a win -- you are putting the the situational
        Bill> information about use at the right level of the message
        Bill> ``document''.

The only win inherent in subtyping multipart seems to me the
desirability of avoiding further gratuitous changes to the spec.

        Bill> I'd imagine the wording of the section describing
        Bill> ``multipart/attachments'' would be something like this:

        Bill>     7.2.4  The Multipart/attachments subtype

        Bill>     The multipart/attachments type is used when only one
        Bill> part of a multipart message (called here the _primary_
        Bill> part) is intended to be displayed, the other parts
        Bill> acting as documents ``attached'' to that primary part.
        Bill> User agents should only display the attachments in some
        Bill> short form (.i.e., with a name or icon), but should
        Bill> display the primary part in full.  The primary part is
        Bill> specified to be the *last* part of the
        Bill> multipart/attachments.

I am really uncomfortable with this as stated. First of all, the
"primary" should come first, to help out older MUAs. But this
multipart seems like a kludge to me. If we need to determine whether a
bodypart is intended as an attachment or an in-line item, it seems to
me that we are talking about an attribute of the bodypart in question;
the Content-Disposition header seems the best to me.

-Rens
 /__) /__  /| / (    |  J. Laurens Troost    Lehman Brothers Technical Services
/  \ (___ / |/ __)   |  *Opinions expressed herein are mine. Mine, I tell you!*
INET: rens(_at_)shearson(_dot_)com        VOICE: (212) 464-3705        FAX:
(212) 464-2040

  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?  We
     might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. -Jack Handey