Re: language tags

1993-03-05 18:32:51

I'm a bit concerned by the use of Language tags on an entire message.

It seems to me that if, <FR>par example</FR>, I want to include material
in a message that is in a different language, and I can only do so by
splitting out the message into a sequence (or my mailer can?) that this
is perhaps inadequate.

Of course, to some extent RichText or even text/SGML could handle this,
although not variant Encodings (character sets), which isn't quite the
same thing.

I don't believe it acceptable to use cryptic numbers that force people
to get a copy of a standard.  I understand Keith Moore's motivation, but
deplore the possible consequences.

The ISO 2-character names are used elsewhere, including on the Internet,
and although it's a little odd to find that Canada is "CA", at least it's
unambiguous and widely known.

yes, you might be able to tell if you know the language or not, but
determining if the character set is right is another ball-game...

Lee

--
lee(_at_)sq(_dot_)com (Liam Quin) the barefoot programmer; SoftQuad Inc +1 416
239 4801