Re: language tags

1993-03-06 06:35:32
Having this WG trying to invent an inventory of language names
for MIME use seems to me to be a very dangerous task. We are not
experts on languages. How should we come to agreement on the names,
their length and language, and how many languages to include?
How will we define what a language name means? Will Norwegian
mean Bokmaal or Nynorsk, or both? Why should we invent a new scheme
which most certainly will be incompatible with the existing schemes?
This would exclude us from coordination with other software, eg.
the operating system environment, where language would most likely be
indicated, using some standard method. How should we maintain the list?

All this discussion is avoided if we just use the established
standards. And ISO 639 is the most obvious one here.

Keld