Re: Language tags and 10646

1993-03-08 22:24:23

I wonder if it would be acceptable to punt MultiLingual messages to
RichText?  In other words, a single MIME object would have a single
charset, (country/language) or whatever.  A RichText message would allow
individual
        <lang charset="ISO 8859-8">
          text in 8859-8 goes here
          <lang charset="ISO 8859-1">
            Even I can read this bit
          </lang>
         </lang>
(I don't actually care about the tag names, and the attribute charset could
as an alternative be allowed on any RichText tag).

In this way, more sophisticated use is defined for the future.

I am suggesting this because I think that it *is* an important issue,
and I don't see any clear consensus on how to mix character sets/
encodings/languages in a single document emerging, if the document is
aloowed to be any MIME document.

I think that multilingual mail is a useful thing, but you probably start
wanting multi-lingual spell checkers too.

And your mailer UA will need to have support for multiple character sets.

So it's a more sophisticated program than a minimal mail reader.

And perhaps it's a RichText mailer...

Lee

--
lee(_at_)sq(_dot_)com (Liam Quin) the barefoot programmer; SoftQuad Inc +1 416
239 4801