Re: Language tags and 10646

1993-03-07 17:18:36
     (iv) We can decide that, if the users want the
  precision of rendering that Dana implies, their
  expectations are really going to include having the
  message arrive in exactly the same form it leaves, i.e.,
  that their expectations are for virtual facimile

Sorry, you misconstrue my ultimate goal.

It is not to force facimile upon Text/Plain, or even Text/language-tagged.

A super-character set sa 10646 serves to conflate extant charsets in a way that
provides implicit markup for the UA, but allows it to select appropriate
font/face/size from that resrticted set of fonts which are appropriate to the
task and available to it.

Unfortunatly, c/j/k folding presents a challange which sems to demand a markup,
not as to the specific font, but only as to the font-group which (on the Mac)
would be termed a Script, and which, in this specific case, would relate to 1 of
3 specific languages, C/J/K.

Since this seems to be the only major point making it difficult for us to
recommend 10646, and since 10646 seems otherwise highly desirable, I would like
to see a c/j/k tagging markup devised for it.

It is a shame that this deficiency mars the simplicity of

seemingly forcing

Otherwise, a very welcome posting, thank you John.

My vote would be for either 2 or 4, or maybe both.
--
dana s emery <de19(_at_)umail(_dot_)umd(_dot_)edu>