Re: Minutes of the RFC 822extensions WG in Columbus

1993-04-08 12:08:46
To:  ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu
Subject:     Re: Minutes of the RFC 822extensions WG in Columbus
Date:         8 Apr 1993  13:31 EDT

UNIX System V release 4 allows all 8 bit characters in its filenames, only
disallowing NUL and /. They've done this for the last 4 years.

Plan 9 (from AT&T research) uses 16-bit unicode everywhere, including
filenames. Yes, even the mail system uses unicode.

Yes.  It's pretty clear that the current external-body access types can't
handle this case.

I'd say it's better to bite the bullet now and work out how to allow them.
Using the rfc 1342 mechanisms seems appropriate.

...but severely incompatible with the current message/external-body protocol.
We can't change the current protocol without breaking everyone.  So we need
to define a new protocol (or new access-types for external-body), in a
separate document.

Keith