Re: Minutes of the RFC 822extensions WG in Columbus

1993-04-08 13:50:44
Reality check time.

Does anyone seriously expect filenames, that are not 7-bit ASCII, to be
interoperable?

I don't, and I use Japanese language filenames on my Mac all the time.  But I
never expect any such files to be transportable; I always convert the names to
an ASCII form first.

It's all fine and good to talk about something from an ivory tower, but the
unwashed masses are not going to be able to implement any scheme that does not
involve a translation to 7-bit ASCII.  That's all they have.

I wouldn't object to having a mechanism to specify both an interoperable
filename (which is mandatory) and an ``extended'' filename for consenting
adults.  But I'll bet that the latter will never get much use.