Re: Text/enriched ambiguity

1993-10-31 21:15:45
       I'm generally inclined to favor simplicity over power,   ...

I'm certainly in favour of simplicity also.

        Amen!

                                             But, I think I'd still like
to have some mechanism to say "don't display this because it consists of
commands for changing viewer configuration".

        I'd like to see that too.   But I say we already have it.

        This is why I like the

                <colorentry red 255 0 0>

                        scheme.   If a parser recognizes it,  great.
If not,  it still won't accidentally show-up on the user's screen.

        There was a problem with an HTML document recently.
I don't remember if we discussed it here,  or if I heard it
somewhere else.   There was a like like

                I am <b> not </b> an authority on such-and-such

                        and some parser failed to interpret the <b>
leaving out the word "not".   Someone who *was* an authority on
whatever it was read the disclaimer as

                I am an authority on such-and-such

                        and was miffed to say the least.
The opposite could very well happen.   It is arguable that any
SGML-ish parser should ignore commands it doesn't understand,
passing the text unmodified,  in which case you could say that

                <colorentry> red 255 0 0 </colorentry>

                        *must* be result in "red 255 0 0" being
displayed as part of the message.

        So ... I say,  all commands should be what's inside the
angle brackets,  as a general rule.   (there are always exceptions)

Cheers,

Rhys.

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)rice(_dot_)edu>, Rice University, Information Systems