Re: HTML in MIME mail

1994-11-14 14:39:16
At 9:59 AM 11/14/94, Ed Levinson wrote:
There is a more fundamental question here; when is text/NOTplain
acceptable and when should it be application/NOTplain?

True enough.

There are three issues that I see.  I'm sure more that I don't.

1. If you put it under text/, you get charset= 'for free'.

2. If you put it under text/, you *probably* get newline canonicalization
'for free'.

3. As you mention, if you put it under text/, you *probably* get the
recipient's mailer to blat it onto his screen 'for free'.

In all these cases, I use 'for free' to mean without having to write it
into the specification for the subtype, and without the recipient's mailer
having to have a definition for the subtype.

Depending on your data, any or all of these may be good or bad things.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."