Re: HTML in MIME mail

1994-11-06 16:01:01
On Sat, 5 Nov 1994, Steve Dorner wrote:

I predict that text/enriched, when it comes into full use, will be no more
legible than RTF without a viewer.  Less, probably, because of the nesting
rule and the way indentation is handled.

This isn't a problem so much with text/enriched as with composition agents
which don't take care to produce readable output.  With a small amount of
formatting it can be made just as readable as ordinary text.  Andrew is
(or was: I haven't seen output from the latest versions) one of the
biggest culprits in this area.

RTF properly belongs under application because it was never intended to be
a readable format.  It is a wordprocessor file exchange format, not
something for direct human consumption.  Text/enriched is intended for
human consumption, so composition agents must be more careful with their
output.

Cheers,

Rhys.