Re: MIME boundary question recap

1995-02-10 10:46:17
On Feb 9, 11:47pm, Ned Freed wrote:
} Subject: MIME boundary question recap
}
} (2) The current draft of the final specification changed this so that
}     one boundary cannot be a leading substring of another. This was agreed
}     to on the list in October and was changed to make it possible to allow
}     for trailing whitespace without an arbitrary amount of lookahead.
}
} (5) We need to decide how to proceed. I don't see how we can have it both
}     ways -- we either allow trailing whitespace on boundary lines or we
}     allow one boundary string to be a leading substring of another. Which
}     one is more important? Requiring infinite lookahead is not acceptable in
}     my opinion.
}
} (7) Speaking as an implementor, I could go either way on this. I don't
}     generate boundaries the way Eudora does, and I currently support
}     Eudora's boundaries.

Same here.

I confess to a philosophical preference for Eudora's position, and Keith
has a point that in practice the lookahead shouldn't need to be more than
1000 characters.  However, I can also appreciate the position that a
boundary string shouldn't be a substring (whether a leading substring or
otherwise) of any string intended to be encapsulated by that boundary.
(That is, I see less to quarrel with in the case of

    --inner-outer
    --inner
    --inner--
    --inner-outer--

than in the reverse case; but the distinction is not worth worrying about.)

Philosphy aside, I generally agree with Keith's suggestion: