Re: text/paragraph summary

1998-02-20 10:31:45
        Aren't we bumping up against the  content -vs- display  problem?
If so,  are we trying to do what has been wrongly done with HTML?   That is,
to use a tool designed for content to acomodate presentation?   Let's not.

        The single worst thing about the web is that marketers
and marketeers  (and the two are different)  use HTML for layout.
(This is not to ignore mis-matched capabilities between various
browser/server pairs,  which is also a serious problem.)

        I don't think the situation is going to be corrected
until the MUA developers understand the difference between content
and presentation strongly enough to force a clue into the grey cells
of the users.   We can't retrain the millions of users on the Internet,
but we *can* put clarification in the RFCs which some MUA developers
will hopefully read.   Say it early;  say it often.

        Maybe the new text subtype should be  "/layout".   Naahh.

--
Rick Troth at La Casita, Houston, Texas, USA