RE: overdefining text/plain?

1998-03-11 09:52:57
At 1:08 AM -0600 3/11/98, Ned Freed wrote:
P.S.  I am probably missing someting obvious, but I don't see "interpret
unrecognized subtypes of text/ as text/plain"

Well, for one thing, it's implicit in the first conformance requirement for
text when the charset is US-ASCII:

 -- Recognize and display "text" mail with the charset "US-ASCII."

This doesn't say anything about the subtype being "plain".

And I hope you don't amend it to say so.  The semantics you've given
text/plain are that no interpretation and wrapping should be "necessary".
I think people will be likely to read that as "no interpretation and
wrapping is 'permitted'," and do stupid things like add huge scroll bars if
they see (eg) text/paragraph.

I really like the nonspecific "display" in that context.