RE: (ngtrans) including ipv4 address space into ipv6 address space

2001-11-15 03:09:09

D. J. Bernstein <djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)yo> wrote:

Jeroen Massar writes:
Example.com is new and only gets a IPv6 subnet from
RIPE/APNIC/whatever for whatever reason.

At this point they're not connected to the Internet. Pretty damn
stupid,
if they actually wanted Internet addresses.
Nopes, not stupid it's just a case example, which completely answers
your question
and handles any if not all problems you forseen.

            MX 20 mail-ipv4.example.com.

Okay. With the help of an SMTP proxy having an Internet address, a web
proxy having an Internet address, etc., this company manages to
connect
to the Internet. IPv6 is functionally identical to 10.* here.
You mean RFC1918 addresses with the help of NAT?
If you want I can tell you how to NAT 'real' IPv4 space too, see the

Now, some people have noticed a little problem with this picture,
which
is that there are only a few billion Internet addresses. How would you
suggest solving this problem?

I only need 1 IPv4 IP which can do HTTP/SMTP/NNTP/FTP/etc.
proxy/gatewaying/etc. to the IPv6 world.
Neeto huh? And yes this is yet-another-kind-of-NAT. But one time in the
future we won't have any
IPv4 addresses any more and everything will be IPv6, though when that
time comes is unforseeable at this moment.

The biggest point you are missing is the fact that there are 2
'internets' (the two clouds in my picture) which
though with some added help can communicate with each other.

If you can think up a great marvelous idea how to make sure IPv4 hosts
can reach any new extended address space be my guest.
It will be the same as telling a telephone made to handle 100 digits to
be able to handle 8000 digits -> you need to get a new telephone.

Case ('ipv4 admins only want to sit on their lazy asses') taken,
handled, no problems -> closed.

Greets,
 Jeroen