Re: Time to act: draft-klyne-msghdr-registry

2002-02-13 09:29:59

Interesting.  I thought my comments were simple and clear, yet they seem to
be receiving an impressive degree of mis-hearing.

there's a lot of that going around.

Let me try this again, slower and simpler:

1.  ADs are vastly overburdened.

2.  ADs often try to obtain review services from others.

3.  ADs typically have an extremely difficult time obtaining those services.

4.  The problem is bad enough for some ADs to have given up on even trying
to get those services.

One of the things they teach you in first aid classes is that a general call to
get someone to "call 911" is rarely effective since everyone will assume
someone else is doing it. What works is tasking one or two specific individuals
to do it.

The same thing applies to reviewers. Having a general review panel with a vague
mission statement doesn't work well at all. Asking specific individuals to
review specific things works pretty. Asking someone to be an official "reviewer
of foo" may or may not work -- finding people with the time to do this sort of
thing is hard.

So the bottom line is that effective review processes end up costing ADs time.
I wish this weren't the case, but it is.

                                        Ned