Re: making mail traceable

2004-01-19 02:40:44

At 11:47 16/01/04 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
But do we really want traceability? Or to put it another way, do we really want to put hooks in the mail system that make mass surveillance (by governments, or perhaps even by large companies or unscrupulous ISPs) that much easier?

Speaking for myself, I really would like the option to not use bandwidth receiving email from previously unknown senders unless its source can be traced.

I think the damage being done by spam flooding my mailbox is somewhat greater than the damage caused by other agencies monitoring its content. I'm not inclined to trust my secrets to email, in any case.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact