Re: making mail traceable

2004-01-19 10:03:09

Could you expand on your reason for this a bit? "over my dead body" does not
let me see why you are so opposed to this idea.

I want to know where the email is comming from.

Al Costanzo
----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
To: "Al Costanzo" <al(_at_)akc(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>;
<ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: making mail traceable

"over my dead body".

Keith

On Jan 19, 2004, at 11:05 AM, Al Costanzo wrote:

Keith,

I think making mail traceable is the very best thing that the working
group
can do.  People are sick of SPAM and they need a solution.

I already spoke on the reasons why believe this information needs to
be in
DNS in a previous post but I did not go into the detals as to what this
could do to help the situation.

In the example below, the infomation that would be used by Client's
mail
software or the MTA is the portion before the double quote, the
information
after the doulble quote are for ''non-machine viewing''.

After GL RR identifier you have the two char country code followed by
the
postal code.

GL US.45420.1910

We now have states that have enacted laws concerning spam and now the
federal government as well.  But even if you put this as a reason to
use
this idea aside, having this information would allow people to
configure
email software they are using to block emails from a country they do
not
wish to receive email from as well as being able to trace where the
email
came from.

In addtion, just as there is no rule forcing an ISP to use this RR,
mail
software could be set to block email from an address that do not
contain the
information in the same way the ISPs block email that is comming from
an A
record that do not have a PTR record now.

                IN      NS      ns.akc.net.

uspring         IN      A       192.188.192.2
                IN      MX      5       mail
                IN      HINFO   Vax VMS
                IN      GL US.45420.1910 "1425 Arbor Avenue, Dayton OH"
ftp             IN      CNAME   uspring

I will re-post the draft shortly

Al Costanzo