Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00.txt]

2004-08-29 10:15:58

Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
On Aug 27, 2004, at 4:51 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Philip Hazel writes:

I guess I'm an "other". Not only MUAs, but also other software that wants to send email uses "-t". I suspect there are more applications that do this that I/you/we think.

Right. Personally, I've used it more times than I can remember, in situations ranging from little throwaway scripts up to parts of billing systems. Am I so unusual? It is the easiest way I know to generate a valid message with a custom From field on unix.

It wouldn't surprise me if many thousand automated mail senders use it.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had personally written a thousand shell scripts that use it. It wouldn't surprise me if quite a few of them are still in use at sites I know nothing about. Breaking "sendmail -t" strikes me as about as good an idea as changing the semantics of asterisks in shell scripts. -- Nathaniel

note that it would only break the programs that somehow started using ReplyTo fields before sendmail got upgraded to support ReplyTo fields.