Re: MUA Mail Options for a Mailing List [was Re: non-member messages to lists]

2004-10-18 14:49:46

Again,  once that message hits the LIST manager, it is going to be
"handled" how it sees fit whether you like it or not!  The list
expander has a vital role in it.

You are wrong.  Your list manager is broken.  Please fix it.

First, please don't send duplicate messages to me.

I'm not.  I'm sending a reply to you, and cc'ing the list.  This is
appropriate because both are interested parties.  If it happens
that this results in multiple copies arriving at your inbox that's
your problem, not mine - at least until we have some universally
accepted way of (a) indicating to other recipients that you don't
want to be cc'ed on replies and (b) indicating to other recipients
that you're implicitly getting replies even though you are not
explicitly being sent a reply.

I don't need to get two
copies.  That's the problem.  In order to send to the LIST, you have to
naturally SEND to ALL.

False.  I can specify the list explicitly, and sometimes do.

You even SENT two copies to yourself!

nope.  I sent one copy to my inbox, and another to my personal
archive of the mailing list.  They are not the same.

Second, there is nothing wrong with our list server.   Once you post to the
LIST, the LIST MANAGER takes responsibility for any distribution at the
point.  The proof can be viewed as simply this:

        At the distribution, the 821.MailFrom is NO Longer the original
poster

who said anything about MAIL FROM?  we're talking message headers here.
the [2]822/MIME protocol is between users and their agents.  transport
has nothing to do with it.

Keith