Re: MUA Mail Options for a Mailing List [was Re: non-member messages to lists]

2004-10-20 19:12:46

In <3D4ADE2C-2211-11D9-90EE-000A9571873E(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com> Nathaniel
Borenstein <nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com> writes:

This is one of the silliest threads I've ever read on this mailing list.

If some people think including a CC is rude, while others think that
*not* including a CC is rude, there is simply no right answer.  Burping
after a meal is very bad manners in some cultures and very good in
others.  We're not going to be able to standardize disputed notions of
etiquette.  Thus I would contend that the current reply choices are
"good enough" for current needs.

We don't want to standardize notions of etiquette (though some mailing
list admins might try to standardize it within their own lists).

What we want to do is to keep everyone happy by letting the one who thinks
some behaviour is rude say so in a way that others can respond in the (to
him) polite manner. We can see mechanisms that might work, and indeed
those mechanisms seem able to help with a few other situations too, which
is a bonus.

If you can't find any more important problems to worry about, please
let me know and I'll do my best to help you find some.

No, it is clear that some people regard this as an important matter to
fix. It used to be a bone of contention on Usenet, so they invented the
Mail-Copies-To header. Not much used actually, but since it was invented,
people seem to have accepted which way round is rude, and hardly anyone
does the rude thing anymore (so maybe it was the threat that solved the
problem :-) ).

But the disagreement is rampant in Email, as has been amply demonstrated
here; but since solutions seem to be possible, it is worthwhile to pursue
them.

Now if you want a really insoluble problem, then how about a system that
lets some people choose to see a reply with top posting, and others see
the same reply with bottom posting. Now there's a _real_ challenge -;) .

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.