Re: MUA Mail Options for a Mailing List [was Re: non-member messages to lists]

2004-10-18 15:58:49

First, please don't send duplicate messages to me.

I'm not.  I'm sending a reply to you, and cc'ing the list.

And you honestly do not see the significance of this? and how it relates to the convoluted conflictive philosophical "opinion" of expected behavior?

I do not pretend to be able to read your mind.

This is appropriate because both are interested parties.

I'm already part of the list.

I'm not going to keep track of who is on which list and who is not. For all I know, you've already quit the ietf-822 list in disgust. (I can always hope...)

I'm replying to the list. I don't need or want to send directly to you.

You are being rude by not explicitly including me. Perhaps this is deliberate, and it is your choice to make. Still, it shows a certain lack of consideration. Because you don't know whether I'm on the list either. In fact "moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu" is NOT on the list, but I get the list via other means.

Yet, you were able to be a part of the communication. There is no need to send me a 2nd copy - its a waste.

If I had a reliable way to (a) accurately know in real time who was on which lists, and (b) still be able to indicate that you were an intended recipient, I'd be happy to save the network the burden of transporting those few bits. But (a) is actually a hard problem if you try to deal with race conditions. It's technically much easier to eliminate duplicates on your end. And for most messages, it's probably more efficient to send multiple copies than to try to eliminate duplicates.

If it happens that this results in multiple copies arriving at your inbox that's your problem, not mine -

Which explains why there isn't going to be solution with this ever
persistent (no matter what it is) attitude of yours.

You are the one expecting other people to solve your problems... And you want to blame my unwillingness to do so (and my realization that others may not be willing to solve your problem either) on _my_ attitude? get a clue.

Yet, the irony is you say this but in the same breath you say.......

at least until we have some universally
accepted way of (a) indicating to other recipients that you don't
want to be cc'ed on replies and (b) indicating to other recipients
that you're implicitly getting replies even though you are not
explicitly being sent a reply.

So because this isn't available, its "my problem?" No, the problem begins
because you needed to "REPLY to ALL" to get the list address.

False. I INTENDED the reply to go to you and the list because both you and the list are appropriate recipients of the message. In this case it's not a failure of my user interface to provide me with more or easier-to-use options - it's the fact that we don't have the necessary protocol support.

It relates to the concept that the email output generation of a LIST
Distribution is not the same as would be the 1 to 1 email direct transport
where the MAIL FROM is persistent.   It is NOT persistent in a List
Distribution.

The envelope is different. The payload is the same, modulo List-* fields. We are talking about the payload.

Please understand what is being said here first before injected more
stubborn responses that lead no where.

What I understand is that you're making this stuff up, trying to interpret the mail protocol in your own way without regard for interoperability or other people's experience.

Keith