Re: MUA Mail Options for a Mailing List [was Re: non-member messages to lists]

2004-10-20 20:57:45

We don't want to standardize notions of etiquette (though some mailing
list admins might try to standardize it within their own lists).

What we want to do is to keep everyone happy by letting the one who thinks some behaviour is rude say so in a way that others can respond in the (to
him) polite manner.

What I want is to get rid of the conflict between two valid concerns. One is that senders should be able to specify (both to their MUAs and to recipients) who was intended to receive a message without having to worry about which recipient addresses include other recipient addresses. The other is that recipients shouldn't have to see duplicate messages.

The "rudeness" arguments are a bit specious. I assume Charles does not intend to annoy me by refusing to copy me on replies to my messages. I assume people do not (usually) intend to annoy recipients who get duplicate copies by explicitly including them as recipients of replies. What we have now is a system that makes it easy to be annoying, and also makes it difficult to reliably avoid being annoying. I think we would do well to reduce the annoyance. I just don't want us to have to sacrifice message context or flexibility when we do so.

Keith

p.s. fwiw, the Mac mail client doesn't seem to handle group syntax correctly - it doesn't let you delete an address within a group, move it to a different header field, etc. nor does it let you perform operations on the entire group. just a data point.