New I-D: draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt

2004-11-18 14:42:59

Dear ``email people'',

motivated by a discussion on the main IETF list a couple of weeks ago I
just submitted this Internet Draft

        Title           : Subject: [tags] Considered Harmful
        Author(s)       : P. Koch
        Filename        : draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 2004-11-18

Various mailing lists modify the Subject: header field of messages
   sent to the list to contain a kind of identifier enclosed in square
   brackets.  Every now and then this 'feature' is also requested for
   the main IETF list.  This document collects pros and cons of this
   approach, tries to identify the real issue and will, in a later
   stage, try to give a recommendation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt
--

The draft is just a request for discussion, I'm not sure which direction (if
any at all) it will take. Those [tags] are a matter of fact and "banning" them

Feedback as well as pointers to any previous discussion of this topic (none
were found it in the archives of *this* list) are welcome!

-Peter